Wrapping up!
I want to use this blog to thank the partners that took time to give me a wonderful learning experience. Monica was so kind and so thoughtful in the “lessons” or experiences she designed for me and my classmate. Her job was stressful, as she was responsible for many people with diverse needs. She also balanced government red-tape with human needs, a delicate balance that she always had to be conscious of.
As a student seriously considering a career in working with refugees, this experience was instrumental in my development. I learned about the refugees’ culture, government regulation, limited resources and opportunities, trauma, and healing. But I also learned about the big hearts and the heavy weight that people like Monica have to carry in their pursuit to treat all humans with dignity and to give them a chance to survive this world of power imbalance.
Also thanks to Dr. Hirschauer and the Department of Government at New Mexico State University for giving us this opportunity.
Comments
Post a Comment