The Long Journey Home

 

My trip home consisted of an 11-hour trans-Atlantic flight, a 5-hour layover, a 2-hour domestic flight, and a 1-hour drive across a state line. But my journey home did not end there. 

During this service learning project, I found myself holding the distinction of being the oldest most seasoned participant.  With that came some unique (and sometimes humorous!) challenges… remember that time the security guard at the camp thought my classmates were my daughters?! Ah, fun times.  I carried with me the challenge of parenting while halfway across the world, working remotely in a different time zone than my colleagues, and making a space for myself in a different generational dynamic.  The adjustment was somewhat challenging, but a great opportunity for growth.

The journey home and readjustment has been harder.  While in Munich we were collectively faced with experiences that fostered growth, character building, resiliency, skills and knowledge attainment, and leadership.  Individually, I resonated most with the humanities aspect of our learning.  As a global issue, migration and integration is integral.  However, when viewed as individual stories, giving each migrant and refugee a name and a place, the experience shifts. I find myself trying to get back to life as it was before when I’m not the person I was before.

I brought home with me stories of refugees who have experienced flight from the only home they have ever known to find safety from war, poverty, and collapse of government.  I brought home with me names of children and of mothers who don’t know when they will see their fathers, sons, or husbands again.  I brought home many questions about what to do with the information I learned, the statistics that are unacceptable, and the individual stories that are unfolding along the international border just an hour from my home.  My journey to use the knowledge and experience I gained on this service-learning project now begins. 

I arrived home from Munich over a month ago, but my long journey home is just beginning…

~ Nicole


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Experience I will never forget....

What is Heimat anyway?

Navigation Challenges