Being a Child of Immigrants

It was another day at the Freising-Caritas office. Iliana and I sipped our morning coffee in the corner of Andreas’s office, trying not to make too much sound as he typed away on his computer. It was moments later that Andreas himself broke the silence to inform us that a client will be coming in shortly to get some assistance on filling out some paperwork for his parents. Andreas explained that this young man, who is around our age, was sent to Germany on his own ahead of his parents to get things settled before they immigrated themselves. Upon hearing this, I could only imagine the fear and uncertainty this young man felt throughout this process. Of course, he had no choice, as the state of his country forced him and his family to flee, but having to do it all on his own is simply unfathomable. 

After a short introduction, he and Andreas got to work on the papers. He had said that he had a hard time trying to translate the documents to his parents as he was unfamiliar with much of the legal terminology. This immediately took me back to the many times I too found difficulty in translating intimidating documents to those that they pertain to. I often have to take my Spanish speaking grandmother to many appointments and find myself having to translate and fill out many forms and documents as she cannot herself. I partially understood his frustration at that moment, though our situations are obviously incomparable. 

In no way do I intend to detract from the severity of this young man's situation, but I find instances like the one above to be universal experiences felt by all children of immigrants. It exemplifies the balance one must carry within themselves of the countries they have ties to. One is called to embrace one country entirely, while also never forgetting the one that makes up your innermost being. 

Freising, Germany
(View from Caritas office window)


- Post by Citlalli Benitez



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Experience I will never forget....

What is Heimat anyway?

Navigation Challenges