Now that our journey has came to a close, I think that it is important to reflect and digest. We had a very busy week with a lot of information thrown at us.
The social workers: awesome wonderful people
The culture: unique and integrated
And there are plenty of people that need assistance
By Crystal Rawls Since arriving back in the states, I have had quite a bit of time to reflect on the time that I spent in Germany. Our study abroad trip to Germany has taught me so much about the current refugee crisis and what refugees and asylum seekers have to go through each day just to survive. To meet and talk to a lot of these asylum seekers and to learn and hear their stories gave me a greater appreciation of my own life and a deeper understanding of how these individuals are feeling about their current situation. It was also insightful to shadow the social workers who have to encounter the refugee crisis every day as apart of their profession. I believe that the best part of the trip was learning from my fellow peers and taking the time to hear different opinions and views about the current situation that is taking place. Overall, this trip has been once in a lifetime. I learned so much not only about Germany, but also about myself and this is an experience that I wil...
Pictured: artwork of a boy near Bellevue di Monaco. A bicycle is leaning against it. By Lisa Valleroy-Djang München--jeden Tag verlaufen, niemals verloren. Munich--every day lost (Eva can confirm my inability to orient myself in space), but never irretrievably lost. That is the Munich that I love and know. But I came to Germany of my own free will, with the knowledge that if I didn't like it (or if Meagan kicked me out of the hotel room for snoring too loud) I could always go back home. For so many, this is not an option. "Heimat"--an old German word that doesn't exactly have an English equivalent. It offers a positive sense of home, where there is intimacy and comfort. Although the Nazis appropriated this term in order to spur xenophobia, I think the meaning of "Heimat" can overcome fascist propaganda. The feeling of Heimat comes from community, not from nationalism. The NGO I was so lucky to spend time with, Bellevue di Monaco , may not be ...
Never having been to Germany I found myself confused and often times lost, even though I had my phone with navigation. Even equip with directions, navigating through the cities and towns of Germany was a challenge for myself and others in the program. Now imagine people coming into Germany, without previous counsel and without reliable phone service. Some people may even come without a device to provide such directions. Getting to and from different locations in Germany is hard as it is, but can prove to be much more challenging for migrants coming into the country. To get from my hotel to the migrant facility just outside of Fürstenfeldbruck I had to find the main train station (Hauptbahnhof), ride the train about 45 minutes out of central Munich, get off and immediately look for the bus station to ride for another 15 or so minutes. All the while, making sure to not miss the correct train or bus stop. After staying for two weeks the navigation system began to feel much more manag...
Comments
Post a Comment