Final Reflection from the South of Europe
by Sara Bonk
Photo taken in front of the Ayuntamiento de Madrid (Townhall of Madrid)
I wish my brain would think in words, and not pictures and diagrams. It's been about a week now since the end of my experience in Munich, and to be quite honest, my brain has still yet to process everything that I have learned. My time with buntkicktgut has created an amazing experience for me with the children that they serve; it helped me to see how much light a child's spirit has especially when it comes to the game of soccer. These kids push aside their cultural differences, their language barriers and the problems that they might be facing and come together to create a community within the city of Munich that is solely focused on them, the kids. It was beautiful to see and I wish words would form themselves for me to describe what I saw and felt in that NGO.
As I am currently in the country of my previous study abroad experiences, I have to remember that Germany is not the only European country that is welcoming refugees as of now. Spain has had a history of immigration as well.
Spain is in the perfect position for many refugees from Africa to come into the continent. Many have made it via boat, and of course this leads to many lives lost at sea. I remember going to a museum exhibition in 2014 in Barcelona that detailed the lives of those who had made the perilous journey across the Strait of Gibraltar in search of a better life. Of course, for those who wish to make the journey can also find themselves stuck in the two Spanish enclaves on the African peninsula - Melilla and Ceuta. This article by the Guardian (https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2017/may/10/melilla-refugees-spain-africa-gateway-europe)tells of how one of the small cities struggles with the surplus of African refugees that comes to its borders everyday. I highly recommend reading it as it gives light to what these boys go through to get to Europe.
The bright side of this situation is that Spain remains open to immigrants. Just recently, there were protests in Barcelona and the region of Catalunya which demanded that the local government take in more refugees (https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/feb/18/protesters-in-barcelona-urge-spain-to-take-in-more-refugees). Not only are the citizens demanding this, but so are some heads of local government who see the influx of refugees the perfect chance to boost the economy.
This full circle of a path that I have made with immigration here in Europe would not have been possible if it were not the exposure of what life is like on the borderland in New Mexico. As I come to further digest my experiences both in Germany and Spain, I find it interesting how the parallels are there and also how each area has its differences and struggles.
Comments
Post a Comment